Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Schmidt's Sausage Haus

Schmidt's Sausage Haus, a German-American eatery is a National Historic Site located in Columbus' German Village. Estabished in 1886, Schmidt's has been perfecting their recipes from generation to generation for the last 112 years. Schmidt's makes their own sausages and bahama mamas and sells them raw to go. Schmidt's was recently featured on Man Vs Food.




Just inside the lobby is the bar with six traditional German draughts on tap. There is a full bar but the beers would go great with the menu.













While Schmidt's is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner and has a full menu, the buffet (known as the Autobahn) is the way to go. There seems to be staff hired just to refill the endless chaffers of sausage, bahama mamas, bratworst, mac and cheese, sauerkraut, etc... There is salad and soup...yeah right!!! I chose the Autobahn and the following is the best I could do.








Plate 1: I started off (against my better judgement) with a touch of salad and German pasta salad. Yes, I had to put some brats and bahama mamas on the 'salad plate'.










Plate 2: Here we go! This has more bahama mamas and brats but I added some corned beef and cabbage, sauerkraut, and peppery sausage stew.









Plate 3: Some more sausages alongside some boiled red cabbage with apples, home made mac and cheese, and green beans with chunks of bacon and spaetzle. It just keeps getting better!!










Plate 4: This one is going to hurt but I called Adam a nansy pansy for not refilling his plate. I had my five year old son come back from the buffet and tell Adam that his friend Jenny Craig said 'hi'. I have to eat plate 4. I go for a few more brats, some more stew and some mac n' cheese and green beans. For the record, I left a bit of the stew. Time to undo the belt!!!





Before leaving you have to wander over to the dessert showcase where all of the in house, home made, from scratch delicassies are kept. Mostly cream puffs and pies, this is a beautiful sight even after consuming four plates of sausage!!! Adam's turn to rub my nose in it as he orders a peanut butter chocolate cream puff. The waitress looks in my direction (as she has heard all of my ribbing of Adam)...........




........of course I did!!! This was delicious!!! Very rich, very creamy, very puffy. I'm not a big fan of pastry and wish this was served open faced but anyhow...it was a wonderful trip to German Village and Schmidt's.






Wow Schmidts Sausage Haus!!! You've got to get there to get the Autobahn! I can't tell you much about the rest of the menu (I've heard the reuben is delicious, but who gets a reuben at a sausage haus?). The neverending trips to overflowing pans of homemade sausage, and bratwurst and kraut and everything else deliciously German. It's in a great neighborhood where you can park your car and stroll to numerous shops before or after dinner or inbetween dinner and dessert. Schmidts has room for private parties and caters.

Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Restaurant
240 E Kossuth St
Columbus, Ohio 43206
614 444 6808

http://www.schmidthaus.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment